June 28, 2005

Dyson Vaccuum Cleaners

By posted in

Dyson vacuum cleanersLike our search for the perfect mattress, our discovery of Dyson vacuum cleaners was long in the making.

Our experience with vacuum cleaners with bags: ever want to vacuum your home — even feel energetic about it? But some time into the vacuuming process, all the pep runs out. Our guess is that it's because the air runs into the vacuum cleaner, through the bag and out — bringing with it all tiny particles small enough to escape the bag. Then there's emptying the bag; sure, it's in a bag, but wrestling with a full vacuum cleaner bag is not the easiest experience. Nor the cleanest.

It was obvious that vacuum cleaner bags — with all that flying dirt — were the problem, we next opted for an expensive cyclone-type bagless HEPA-filter vacuum. In a word, it was terrific. Stylish. Vacuumed very nicely. Until we used it much, at which point the suction power ebbed.

Having zero hope for anything better, we happened to catch inventor Thomas Dyson's infomercial. (To our British friends: all infomercials are not bad. <grin>) What caught our attention was Dyson's explanation of our particular problem — that when the airborne dirt flows into a cyclonic vacuum cleaner, the dirt clogs up the filter. End of story.

Dyson's technology is a bit different (it's a really well done Flash movie): the air apparently does not flow right through the filter. Though Dyson vacuum cleaners are pricey, we opted for the full kit. We've had it for over a year and have not lost suction power. Better yet, the filtration system is so good that we've only to run it in a room for the air to be cleaner.

That's right: rather than dustying up the air when you vacuum, the Dyson actually seems to clean the air as well as everything else. Not only that, but forget struggling with emptying a cannister amid a cloud of fine floating particles. The cannister looks a bit like a clear-plastic water pitcher. Just grab the handle, press a button to release it from the vacuum, hold it over a receptacle, and press another button — and presto! — the bottom opens and the junk falls out. Done.

Is it worth the money? Absolutely.

DJ logo

10 Comments for "Dyson Vaccuum Cleaners"

1. Cherish Edmonds says:

I bought the Dyson animal for our xmas present to ourselves. We have two dogs and three cats and they shed something awful! We could never get the hair out of the carpet, and we have been through 2 vaccuums in 1 year. My husband used the "Animal" for the first time last night and now swears that he loves it more than his camaro! We also steam cleaned our carpets about 3 weeks ago, but you wouldn't believe the dust the Dyson pulled up still. Its wonderful and has made our house a much nicer place to be. Thank you Mr. Dyson, you have saved my marriage!

Comment posted on 12/22/2005 @ 7:34 pm
  2. lois warner says:

I want to know the weight of the machine and maneuverability. Thank you.

Comment posted on 3/23/2006 @ 8:12 am
  3. Editor says:

Hello, Lois. Actually, I don't know the weight of the machine; it seems pretty light.

Since we don't sell vaccuum cleaners (DesignerJones is an online magazine), you could always visit the Dyson website to find local dealers in your area. They could probably help you out, and you could try it out in-store somewhere.

Comment posted on 3/23/2006 @ 8:18 am
  4. Virginia Smits says:

The only (HUGE) problem for me with the Animal is that it will NOT fit under beds and sofas and dressers and the attachments do not move at all well over the carpet. So, while it may be the best cleaner FOR WHAT IS OUT IN THE OPEN it gets an F from me for cleaning under furniture. So really my room is not clean at all, when all the dust mites and dust remain under my bed. I wish they would develop a canister vac – it still has all the problems of a clumsy upright with a bunch of attachments that rarely get used because it is such a hassle to stop everything and “attach” the attachments. UGH – still dusty in Virginia.

Comment posted on 9/28/2006 @ 4:29 pm
  5. Judy Hamill says:

Although I absolutely "love" the cleaning ability of my Dyson upright, I am pretty sure that it was not tested out fo use by women.I find that the handle on the floor wand is too low and I have to stoop over. It is not comfortable to hold either. Also every time I use the attachments on chairs or whatever they "pop" off from the back and forth motion….very frustrating.

Comment posted on 3/30/2007 @ 11:12 am
  6. RALPH MUNDY says:

WE HAVE A DYSON DC14LOWREACH-SER.#174-US-A-68791 THAT IS 3-4 YRS. OLD. IT WORKS OK ON LOW NAP,BUT WE GOT NEW CARPET ABOUT 3 YRS. AGO WITH A HIGHER NAP AND FIND IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO USE THIS VAC. BECAUSE IT IS SO HARD TO PUSH.ALSO,SOMETIMES IT STICKS/GRABS THE CARPET AND HAS TO BE LIFTED AS IT CANNOT BE PUSHED. SOMETIME AGO WE REMOVED BOTTOM SEALS BASED ON YOUR ADVICE WHICH HAS NOT HELPED.MY WIFE WANTS TO BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD CONSULT YOU AGAIN BEFORE DOING SO.
    RALPH MUNDY

Comment posted on 4/4/2011 @ 12:00 pm
  7. Diane Vigil says:

Hi Ralph. Actually, you did not consult with us — DesignerJones is a blog. Is it possible that you've consulted with Dyson or a department store, etc.?

Comment posted on 4/4/2011 @ 5:49 pm
  8. Ronald K. Lewis says:

I purchased a Dyson DC24 Vacuum Cleaner from the Army Air Force Exhange store at Maxwell AFB, AL in the hopes that I would never have to buy another, however this Dyson Multipurpose Vacuum is in reality no better than a $100 Vaccuum cleaner from Wal-Mart. In fact I suspect that a SHOP-Vac is comperable to this vaccumm. I only regret i spent about $400 for this one with no recourse on getting my money back. in attempting to clean my floors this morning it wouldn't even pick up a piece of lent. (And yes i do empty the canister). How sad is this.

Comment posted on 9/9/2013 @ 8:19 am
  9. Ronald K. Lewis says:

addition to the above, its about 5 months old.

Comment posted on 9/9/2013 @ 8:21 am
  10. Diane Vigil says:

Sorry to hear it. That is odd. Ours is still going pretty strong. Can you contact Dyson about it?

Comment posted on 9/9/2013 @ 8:25 am

Leave your comment

Comment moderation is on (but comments are appreciated). Commenters must be at least 16.

Manage your subscriptions