January 25, 2006

Historic Buildings in the British Isles

By posted in

Jean Manco's British Historic BuildingsEvery once in a while, one stumbles upon a real Web goldmine. No, we don't mean the always-questionable "how to get rich overnight without doing or knowing a thing for $29.95 click here" but solid information provided by a knowledgeable person with a passion for a topic.

Such is Jean Manco's Researching Historic Buildings in the British Isles.

Jean has built the website "as a handout for my students called Sources for Building History." Indeed. Useful information about houses that are, say, older than those here in L.A. Now, if we can only figure out how to get our hands on one of those fine old Medieval manors:

Under the feudal system all land was owned by the king. He granted territories to his earls and barons in return for military aid in need.

Hm … well, maybe we won't qualify. Nevah mind. <grin>

DJ logo

6 Comments for "Historic Buildings in the British Isles"

1. Jean says:

Well you got me here Diane! Thanks for the kind words.

Comment posted on 1/28/2006 @ 4:25 am
  2. Editor says:

<grin> Wild guess or a check of your server logs? I guess we'll never know.

Good to see you, Jean.

Comment posted on 1/28/2006 @ 4:33 am
  3. Jean says:

I use Google alerts to find out what people are saying about my site.

Your comments were helpful, because they made me realise that my about page was misleading. I've re-written it. Thanks again, Diane.

Comment posted on 1/29/2006 @ 7:48 am
  4. Editor says:

Ah, excellent. Nice to hear the history of a website — the reasons why it was built. I do love the idea.

Thanks for the tip re Google Alerts; another useful piece of technology.

Comment posted on 1/29/2006 @ 7:53 am
  5. Jean says:

>Nice to hear the history of a website — the reasons why it was built.

I was interested in the reasons you gave for building this one. I don't know about anyone else, but I do tend to look at 'about' pages, if there is one.

PS I have also added a bit of clarification to the manors page. Your visit has done no end of good!

Comment posted on 1/29/2006 @ 8:36 am
  6. Editor says:

I read About pages, too.

In my case, I just had a need to share something other than marketing advice — and there is so much great stuff out there!

Comment posted on 1/29/2006 @ 8:54 am

Leave your comment

Comment moderation is on (but comments are appreciated). Commenters must be at least 16.

Manage your subscriptions